Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The one-night-stand

First of all, the title of this post is to see how many are responding to the connotation rather than my web content. I have to say, the bra shopping post is still bringing in viewers! So much for writing with the purest intentions!

Yesterday, I knew I'd be killing some time in the evening at the Starbucks in Weberstown Mall in Stockton, so I saved me some calories so I could get a coffee with cream and perhaps a biscotti. As of the end of an early dinner, I hit just over the 1400 calorie mark. I was thinking another 200 to 400 calories splurged on something chocolaty would be lovely.

Around 9 pm, I was on approach, zeroing in on their refrigerated case that was already wrapped up for the night. Should have taken that as a clue! I looked everything over, and on a whim, asked about the Red Velvet Cupcake. It was a lovely deep magenta shade, with a generous dollop of cream cheese frosting on top. The sales girl assured me that it was a delight, so I caved and ordered one to go with my cup of coffee. I was told that this was going to be the start of a beautiful relationship.

Why can't I ever remember that I'm not a fan of sweets? They look so good, and they smell so nice, and then I pop it in my mouth and I'm so disappointed! It was not the start of a beautiful relationship! It was nothing more than a cheap one-night-stand! I even ventured a second bite, thinking my taste buds must be momentarily malfunctioning. Nope, I was still tasting starchy glue with extra sugar. The frosting didn't do it for me either. I kinda gagged on it.

In the end, I ended up with a knot in my stomach and some intestinal problems that didn't resolve themselves until this morning. I'm so glad that's over!

On a positive note, my really healthy breakfast weighed in at a mere 296 calories. A single poached egg on some wilted spinach, with a squeeze of lemon on top. I cooked it all with olive oil spray, didn't top it with more olive oil, didn't have an English muffin or sourdough toast with it, and no cheese! I still had half and half with my coffee. Don't really feel like giving that up just yet.

No comments: