Monday, January 24, 2011

Doin' the numbers

Forsaking the scale is tougher than I had anticipated. I feel the need to crunch numbers. Makes me think I'm in control of something, somehow. So if I'm measuring what I do, rather than what the scale says, I'm more actively connected to the process of achieving optimum health.

Today's breakfast: I really felt like having something warm and soothing, plus needing more fiber at breakfast.

Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats - 1/2 cup (dry)...190 Cal
Bob's Red Mill Flax Seed - 1/2 T...................................25.5 Cal
Poached eggs - 2............................................................148 Cal
Olive oil - 1 T.................................................................120 Cal
Coffee with fat-free half-and-half - 2 servings....................40 Cal

Total Cal........................................................................524 Cal

(I'll continue to post my food intake throughout the day.)

I'm about to go burn all that off on the treadmill, and then an hour of emotional housekeeping at the therapist should put me into a calorie deficit!

(I told you, this blog was about achieving optimum health and that includes mental health maintenance.)

Later today, I plan to do some weight training with my reluctant son, who is refusing to get out of bed at the moment.




So, it's now after 6 pm. Best laid plans...bungled by life issues. I had meetings all morning, then had to run errands for my parents, so by 3 pm, I was famished! And that's when I make really stupid, STUPID food choices. Fried chicken at the market. Cold fried chicken. Not even good friend chicken. Ugh! I don't even want to know what that does to my numbers today. At least it wasn't KFC or Church's. And I picked up some kale for dinner. Not Catholic, but I believe in food penance!

Didn't exercise, and I'm already tired. Quite sleepy, in fact. I think the chicken was fried in soybean oil, because I feel really lethargic and my knees and shins are aching. So are my neck and shoulders. My son is still working on school work and can't go to taekwondo tonight, so we're not going to hit the gym in the garage either.

Sad news...Jack LaLane passed away. He was 96 and died of pneumonia. Gosh, I thought he was going to live forever! I recall watching him when I was really young. He made an impression. Jack would say, "Anything in life is possible, as long as you make it happen." Au revoir, mon cheri! Thanks for loving America so much.

No comments: