Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What a drag it is getting old

I wish I could figure out how to have the Rolling Stones' Mother's Little Helper playing in the background...

I seem to be slowly falling apart...no matter how hard I work at losing weight, I can't turn back the hands of time, or even slow it down.

For the last few months I've been experiencing some days when lethargy and body aches have held me back. I thought perhaps I just wasn't working hard enough at whatever I wasn't working hard enough at that day, took a nap, took a vitamin, or some herbs, or drank some new power-producing drink. (Some days, I feel like Alice in Wonderland finding notes tell me to "eat this" and "drink that" but nothing seemed to produce the desired effect being promoted.) And the next day I'd feel okay, so I went on my merry way until the next time I felt like shit again.

Increasingly, these days of lethargy have been more the rule than the exception, and for the last two weeks, it's been everyday. Today I thought I'd actually track how I was feeling, hour by hour.

06:00 Wake up - feeling the morning aches, stretching seemed to make it go away. Felt very alert, like I got a good night's rest after seven hours.

07:00 Making breakfast and lunches for the boys. Starting to get a headache. Upper arms feeling heavy and achy. Stretching feels good, but only a temporary remedy.

08:00 Boys are off to school, so I start to clean-up downstairs. Feeling very tired, still achy, down to the forearms now. Managed to fill the dishwasher and start it, but now I want to go upstairs to nap.

09:00 Sitting at the computer, fighting the urge to sleep. I have so much to do today and I can't stay alert. Upper thighs feel achy and tense, legs feel heavy, arms still ache and headache is worsening. Even my hands ache today. I feel worse today than I did yesterday.

I've had four glasses of water and Medifast scrambled eggs with a little feta so far today. I'm not hungry, but I've been resorting to eating the last couple of days just for the extra energy.

This is not good. I just made an appointment to see my doctor on Tuesday afternoon. After talking with a few friends, and a bit of self-diagnosing, I'm thinking this is a thyroid issue. I'm getting plenty of sleep. I'm drinking plenty of water and despite being on Medifast, I haven't been entirely faithful to the plan (eating above and beyond) so I know I'm getting enough nutrients. I've made attempts at exercising, but I'm so exhausted that I can't keep it up for very long.

I have a job interview tomorrow. I have to get a portfolio put together and I don't know if I can.

No comments: