Friday, August 14, 2009

Never made it to the interview

Boy, that was a really tough decision! But as I sat in the car in my garage, the day before the interview, I made the call, with tears in my eyes, to cancel the appointment for my job interview. It was only 1:30 p.m. and it was a huge effort just to get out of the car. I was never going to shine for an interview.

On Thursday I decided to park myself at Starbucks, just to get out of the house, and sat and read The Thyroid Diet by Mary J Shomon. I took notes. Very interesting read. Ms. Shomon is a patient advocate and has dedicated her life to helping people with thyroid issues. She talked about medications, vitamins and minerals, food supplements, what to eat, when to eat, why we eat, what happens when we don't eat so much, how losing weight due to fat reduction can add to thyroid issues, toxins that are stored in fats...and I'm only half way through the book. I took my notes to my friend Sheri's healthfood store, where I dropped cash for more vitamins and stuff. And another book that piqued my interest, Detox Strategy by Brenda Watson.

I'm reading that book now. It's not a radical approach to detoxifying, which is why I bought it. It seems full of practical advice to detoxifying our lives. For example, there are house plants that are capable of improving indoor air quality, so I wouldn't have to buy air purifiers and humidifiers/dehumidifiers for every room of the house. There are lists of cleaning chemicals that add to a toxic environment in the house and alternative products/methods for cleaning. I haven't gotten to the diet portion of the book yet, but I don't see a huge list of products that I'll have to add to my collection of vitamins I don't already take.

After my trip into town I pulled out all my vitamins and food supplements to check expiration dates. All were current, but it was a little shocking how much I had collected since November when I came back to California. Fortunately they all still fit on just two shelves in a single narrow kitchen cabinet. I'm not an advocate for taking massive quantities of vitamins. I really wish I could take care of everything with just diet and exercise.

Issues kept coming up as I looked at all the little colored bottles. Parental issues. (Thank God there are no vitamins for that!) The volume of vitamins in my parents' house is scary! They could be dealers! They have enough vitamins to last them through the Apocalypse! Those two keep a really tight rein on what they eat. I don't even know the last time my mother had a piece of candy...it could have been during the Nixon administration. I think that was the last time she did a lot of things.

Yesterday afternoon I got a really lovely massage at Perfect Balance Day Spa. Joanne is really good. And afterward I got a pedicure from Michelle. All my aches and pains were gone and I felt truly blissful afterwards. I came home, drank plenty of water, watched a little TV with the boys, took two melatonin (from the kitchen cache) and went to bed at 10. I was looking forward to a blissful night's sleep.

I have no idea why I woke up at midnight, but I was wide awake. I couldn't go back to sleep until 4 a.m.! And then I was up again with the boys by 6. I've hung on all day, without napping, so I would be genuinely tired and be able to sleep the entire night tonight. I have my sleep hygiene all worked out now. Go to bed at 10, get up at 6. That's 8 hours. And I've been consistently doing that for three weeks. But every once in awhile, I've gotten some good, consistent sleep for a few nights, and my body decides it doesn't need to sleep one or two nights in a row, and my sleep routine is upset again. Even my circadian rhythms have ADD!

No comments: