Thursday, October 8, 2009

Struggling with a head cold

I've had a bad head cold for two days! It started after I cleaned the garage on Tuesday. We kicked up a lot of dust that I never got a chance to clear out when we moved in, so since the boys are out of school for two weeks, I took the opportunity to get one of them to help me. It looks really nice now, but I've been sneezing for three days, wheezing and coughing for the last two. I drank a lot of water and homemade turkey soup yesterday (Greek style, with lots of lemon - yum!) But I don't seem to feel any better yet. I just started with the echinacea and zinc, plus an extra dosing of cayenne pepper capsules. I hope that kicks it by the weekend.

Have you had a look at the list of blogs on the right of this page? Those are blogs of people similarly engaged with getting healthy. I noticed that everyone has come to similar nutritionally smart and healthy portions, no gimicks, no miracle products, exercise every day, sleep adequately, and manage stress. Would have saved a lot of money over time if I did all that from the beginning! The latest blog I've added is by Dianne from Fit to the Finish. She's been peeking in on me too...Hi Dianne!

And I wanted to add here, to Screaming Fat Girl, and everyone else who peeks in on me, thank you for checking in and letting me know, in one way or another, that you're there. Because you're really helping me stay on track. I really appreciate it!

Okay, I haven't been eating according to the plan set a couple of days ago, because there's nobody here that will make it for me! And when I'm sick, I just don't feel like spending time in the kitchen. And the boys only want to cook burritos and macaroni and cheese. And they found the last bag of Trader Joes's vegetable pot stickers today. I'm so glad I'm allergic to all of it!

What I did cook today was sauteed spinach with garlic for dinner. I think I had oil-packed sardines on whole wheat bread at lunch. Breakfast was scrambled eggs with shredded zucchini. I snacked on a handful of raw almonds. And I splurged on one item...real bad. I found a tub of ricotta in the back of the fridge...and we made love. See, that's what happens when I only eat a total of 900 calories by the end of the day. I feel really yucky right now. I've never eaten ricotta like that before. Yes, I've splurged on a fat, rounded tablespoon straight from the tub before, but never the whole tub. I must have needed more dairy, because I haven't had any in some time.

No, actually, I just started eating mindlessly. Because I wanted to check out of being a responsible adult for a little bit.

And look! It's midnight! I need to go to bed!


screaming fatgirl said...

Thanks for the shout out and the link. I appreciate it!

I know my locking out comments makes things a one-way street and that's not fair, but I'm not mentally strong enough to deal with potentially abusive comments (as you may understand).

I have subscribed to your blog and read every new post. My support and sympathies are always with you!

I know exactly how you feel when you say that it's harder to follow the plan when you have to be responsible for your own food. My eating includes making my food to the extent of making things like my own soup and bread. It's an immense amount of effort, and it'd be impossible to do while you're not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon!

Heather said...

I feel for you, its hard to be sick and still in charge - so feel better soon. I just wanted you to know that I find you very inspiring and your goal of eating for what you want to weigh is too. It has challenged me to do better and think about that as well... get well soon!

Principessa said...

Thanks for the big virtual hugs!