Friday, November 27, 2009

Phew! Thanksgiving's done, 35 days of celebrating to go!

I just got home from spending a few days with my sister and her family for Thanksgiving.  I enjoyed my time with them, but it still seems like an awful lot of work invested in such a small degree of return.  By the end of the day, I was too tired to relax without falling asleep, and I didn't even eat that much!

I had a little bit of everything: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, dinner roll, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, salad, Brussels sprouts, spanakopita and a turkey meatball (that last one was my mother's contribution - I have no idea why she brought meatballs).  We had opted not to make any appetizers, and that was a very wise decision.  I made all the desserts and didn't eat any of them!  Just didn't feel like it.  I did go back for seconds on the turkey, stuffing and gravy.  Still, I wasn't overly stuffed at all.  So, combine all that food with a couple glasses of wine and by 4:30 p.m., my sister's leather sofa was singing its siren song and not even the general squealing of elementary school-aged kids could rouse me.

Today I'm feeling okay, still a little sleepy.  I just read that turkey doesn't contain any more tryptophan in it than any other poultry.  Yesterday's somnolence was probably more attributed to my being such a light weight when it comes to drinking alcohol.  First glass of wine makes me agreeable and the second one puts me to sleep.  Add to that recipe the carbs...I should have brought a Snuggie!

So, I didn't exercise at all, formally.  But doesn't slaving in the kitchen for two days count for something?

No comments: