Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Staving off flu season

My wee one is home sick today.  He's got a low-grade fever.  I'm feeling rather icky myself.  My lymph glands feel swollen and I've had a raging headache for a few days.  Not enough sleep, too much post-holiday pecan pie. (It was better the second day, and even better the third and fourth days!)  I just got back from the salon, where I was turned away due to a sickly stylist.  Everyone's feeling yucky now.  I decided to head for Safeway and see what ingredients I could gather for my next round of healthy, flu-fighting meals.

Quercetin seems to be something that builds the immune system, so I got some foods high in that nutrient: apples, onions, citrus, broccoli, leafy greens, cranberries and organic tomatoes.  Other foods that aid the immune system include homemade chicken soup, green tea (catechins), sardines and wild-caught salmon (Vit D), yogurt (with live active cultures or probiotics) and spicy peppers (high in Vit C).

My shopping list included the following: kale, Swiss chard, apples, oranges, grapefruit juice (unsweetened), oil-packed sardines, organic chicken broth and green tea.  I'm going to make some kale for lunch, after I take a mid-morning nap.  I'm feeling rather achy right now and I think a good power nap is in order.

No comments: