Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I know it's been over a month since I wrote last, but it is the summer, after all. We're not supposed to be online so much. We're supposed to be out enjoying the summer months.

Whatever! It's been smokey here in Northern California and I haven't been able to go out much. And when I have, it's been for not very fun things, like running errands and going for medical appointments or shopping for school supplies.

And speaking of medical appointments, I'm now being tested for PCOS. It may explain why the weight loss has come to yet another standstill. I've not been able to get past 317 lbs. for weeks and weeks now. I'm changing up my diet in order to deal with this. Even less carbs (down to 60 gms.), and really make sure they're all low on the glycemic index, really limit the saturated fats and increase the Omega 3 types of fats. And I need to increase how much cardio I'm doing.

I spoke with Beth the fitness coach on Monday. We talked about caving to cravings, and how important it is for me to keep a tight rein on my indulgences now, and how I'll be able to loosen things up the closer I get to goal weight. It's all perspective, I guess. If I can plan for indulgences wisely, space them out a bit farther for now, then I may keep my forward progress on a more consistent basis. The reward will be breaking this insulin resistance, resolving the diabetes threat, and getting off of blood pressure medication altogether.

I'm up to 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer now, but it really hurts my knees. I'm having to back off on that, doing just 5 minutes at a time over several times a day. If I do 5 minutes every hour over 12 hours, that's 60 minutes a day on that thing! I'm going to attempt that this week and see how strong my quads can get working out like that.

I also went to my orthopedist yesterday, who gave me a shot of cortizon in my right shoulder. I have really strained the rotator cuff, so I'm off of most upper body exercises that involve arms for now. I'm using 2 lbs. weights on rotator cuff exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff for now and will be going to a physical therapist very soon for further work. I've also got to take 2 Advil twice a day to help with the inflamation. Once I get the all-clear, I can get back to my regular upper body and core exercises that involve my arms, probably in a couple of months.

I'm feeling confident that I'll be moving forward with weight loss again in a short period of time. I have to feel confident, because backsliding is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!! I am on a path towards optimum health and wellness, and I'm in command of how good I can feel, inside and out.

No comments: