Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sneaking in exercise

My wellness coach told me there was a study on how many more calories fidgety people burn than those who sit still more. An extra 350 calories!

It turns out, I'm not so fidgety (not all with ADD are hyperactive...I happen to be one of the inattentive, slow-moving, day-dreaming ones), but there's no reason why I can't get myself moving more throughout the day.

I started the morning with some cardio on the treadmill, and thereafter, whenever I wanted to watch any of my Tivo'd shows, I got on the treadmill and walked the entire time. I also got on the elliptical cross trainer for a few minutes per show as well. And when I was tired, I sat on my big stability ball, made an effort to keep my posture straight, and bounced up and down on it. I think tomorrow I'm going to add situps during the commercials.

I tried the stability ball while I was at my desk, but it interfered with typing and reading on the laptop. I can't seem to concentrate while I'm reading if I'm also pumping weights or using the Spri Tube.

I am so happy to have the treadmill! I love it! I'm going to be on it all the time!

I bought a Pilates reformer recently. I haven't used it yet. Tomorrow I'm going to finish setting it up. It came with a starter DVD, so I'll give it a test drive tomorrow. I found a really good reformer demo on YouTube. Helps to see what it's supposed to look like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh god, I am definitely one of those day dreaming ADD types. The stability ball sounds like a really fun way to get in some movement while watching tv - or catching up on "Battlestar Galactica" in my case.